I have been wanting to talk about this F O R E V E R. I LOVE me some awesome, kick-butt female characters, however there are so many that are barely discussed and they need the hype. That’s why for today’s freebie Top Ten Tuesday, I decided to talk about my 10 favorite under-hyped female protagonists! (TTT is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. You can learn more about it here.)
If you would like to see another list talking about my favorite female protagonists, you can click here! But just saying: that ones kind of old and I’ve read about so many other amazing characters since then. 🙂
So here we go! Remember: I’m not including Katniss or Hermione because this is an UNDER-HYPED list. Though I love these characters as much as I love them ❤
(This list is in no particular order and I do NOT own any of the art featured.)
- Let’s start with a character from the book I’m currently reading, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I hope it’s not too early (I’m only on page 129 but I LOOOOVE this book so much) but I’m adoring Inej’s character. She seems so mysterious but awesome at the same time, and I also really like Nina too. I LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS IN THIS BOOK OKAY AND I JUST HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN’T EVEN FINISHED IT YET.
- Shahrzad from The Wrath and the Dawn, by Renee Ahdieh. First off, I haven’t gotten the chance to say how much I love this book yet, but boy oh boy do I love this book. And one of the main reasons is because Shazi is such an amazing character. Strong-willed and stubborn, I just love her. (I mean I love this book so…)
- All the girls of The Lunar Chronicles. I know. I’m cheating. But I love them all so much, specifically Cinder and Winter. 🙂 #sorrynotsorry
- Now…I definitely wouldn’t say this next one is a heroine. Rather, she’s a very very very dark anti-heroine. But I ADORE her character. And that’s none other then Adelina of The Young Elites by Marie Lu. TYE and its sequel, The Rose Society, are both two of my favorite books of all time. Adelina’s character is so complex, it’s beautiful. She’s been through so much so it’s only normal that she is the way she is, and I love her for it. I’m going to be heartbroken when the last book comes out because I love this series even more than Legend. :’)
- Now I’m cheating again. I’m gonna talk about Manon and Asterin, from the Throne of Glass series. *GASP!* WHAT? YOU’RE NOT TALKING ABOUT CELAENA BUT THEM? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? First off, this is an UNDER-HYPED discussion. Second. I love Celaena. HOWEVER. I did not like how Sarah changed her character completely for the sake of the romance in Queen of Shadows. Instead, I loved Manon and Asterin’s characters, because they are also so complex and beautiful (yes, beautiful) in their own ways. I always loved reading about witches and Manon makes it so freaking awesome. As for Asterin, well…my beautiful Asterin. The poor witch. (SO YES I LOVE THEM.)
(I couldn’t find fan art for Asterin)
- Blue from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. Ya’ll know I love these books. They’re quirky, beautiful, and just weird. Just like Blue. Blue is such an intriguing character and she’s so cute…I couldn’t NOT put her on this list. 🙂 (ALSO BLUESEY <3)
Okay I could’ve put a picture of her alone but I just…no. She has to be with her raven boys.
- And now the *only* contemporary heroine, Aysel from My Heart and Other Black Holes. Aysel is probably the character I’ve related to on such a personal level between all the books I’ve ever read. She’s so deep, and this book is so beautiful. I really don’t know what you’re doing with your life if you haven’t read it yet. (PS it’s my all time favorite contemporary novel.)
- Mackenzie from The Archived by Victoria Schwab. No surprise here. This book is also one of my favorites, and a huge part of that is because Mac is such a strong character. ❤ Also, I mean the book is really really amazing too. Like 8989082348% amazing.
- I know I talked about this next heroine in my last post, but I have to put her in here again. Plus, she’s under-hyped: Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Humor? Check. Awesome hair? Check. Overall badassery? Check. This girl has it all, and I wish I could be like her. Without the whole deal with the angels and demons, though. 😀
- Reyna from The Blood of Olympus. Considering how popular Rick’s books are, Reyna rarely ever gets any credit, and that just makes me sad because she’s as strong of a character as Annabeth. She really does deserve it, and I hope to see more of her in Rick’s upcoming books. Also, I just really feel bad for her..she can’t fit in anywhere and I just wish she would have someone to comfort her. 😦
And that’s the end of this post! I really hope you guys enjoyed this, as it took a while to write. I love all of these characters so much. So who are YOUR favorite heroines? Talk to me about them! I love strong heroines and I might check those books out if you tell me about them! 🙂