Hey guys! So if you didn’t know, I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of Rick Riordan. I mean, duh, he’s the one who got me into reading five (and counting!) years ago. Every year I wait for a new Riordan book to come out, for the past five years. Although I am really sad that Percy’s adventures are over, I’m still happy that Riordan is continuing on with his books with gods and monsters.
Anyways, it had been told by Rick that today the cover of the first book in his new series, The Sword of Summer, would be dropping. I, of course, was very much eager to see it. As of right now, Rick hasn’t announced the cover reveal yet but I think they put it early on Goodreads because this is how it looks like on my screen.
As I said, I’m pretty sure this is the final cover but if you can see the top and bottom are both kind of cut off, probably because they couldn’t adjust it on Goodreads yet. I would have waited for Rick to actually announce it, but I’m a weirdo and I wanted to be the one to share the news with everyone first. (teheh.)
So…for my thoughts on the cover, this is what I think:
- I like the color scheme; as in all of those hues of blue, purple, and pink, since I think they look nice together
- I also like the haunted tree (or whatever it is, I don’t really know much Norse mythology) in the background
- HOWEVER, I don’t like this cover quite as much as I liked Rick’s other covers. For me, this cover looks like the Percy Jackson covers that were redesigned:
But I personally did not like how the covers were redesigned. They look really stupid (sorry for those who do like these, but its my opinion)
Do you see what I’m saying? It looks more like the new covers rather than the old covers, and I like the old covers better.
- Another part of the cover I do not like is that it shows Magnus’ face too much. Even in the new covers, none of Rick’s books have prominent features of the characters’ faces, which I like. Magnus’ face expression clearly shows in this cover, which I don’t like. Nope. I don’t like faces in covers.
- As for my interpretation for the cover, I really have no idea. I don’t know anything about Norse mythology, and I can only interpret some things that are really obvious; such as Magnus and “the sword” because of the title.
Anyways, that’s all I have to say about the cover. Although I don’t really like it, since I think it looks too middle grade compared to the other covers, I am SO pumped for it. You can read an excerpt first ten pages of the book here, and guess what? Annabeth is in it, and MAGNUS CUSSES. Well, Rick is almost going into YA, if he hadn’t blocked out the cuss words. (I don’t know why I was really excited for that.)
What are your thoughts on the cover? Are you as excited as I am? Please let me know!
// // // // //
some recent posts:
check out some of my other reviews, on my review archives.